It's ALL ABOUT transforming spaces
Klavon Design Associates, Inc. (Klavon) is about transforming spaces. We bring together technical expertise and aesthetic ingenuity to create enlightened landscape architecture that responds to its context. We are a certified women-owned small business with specialized experience ranging from small site assessments to complex master planning projects for both private and public clients. With a focus on collaborative planning and sustainable design, Klavon has accumulated extensive experience in a variety of landscape architecture and planning services.
PROJECTS THAT WORK FOR PEOPLE
Our team will be a hands-on partner at every step of the process. Klavon is as interested in how projects work for people and the environment as we are in what those projects look like. We believe it is possible to be both inventive and pragmatic, beautiful and functional. We design real places with real budgets for real people. We explore simple technical efficiencies and hybrid solutions that can do many things at the same time - the most important of which is enriching the lives and experiences of the people we serve.
SUBTLE ART + HARD SCIENCE
Transforming a land space into a favorable environment requires talents that range from hard science to ephemeral arts. Klavon Design Associates, Inc. brings these skills together in an exceptional union of technical expertise and aesthetic ingenuity. We believe that a designed space should behave as a canvas and that it is the community that makes it a place. Our designs strive for a kind of comfortable flexibility that anyone and everyone in the community is able to embrace and utilize to make the space their own. We believe that if the solution is fitting, it will enhance the environment, people will use and take ownership of it, and it will endure.
What makes us unique isn’t just how well we design. It’s how well we listen.
Our landscape architecture work is brought to life with your input to complement the
existing natural and cultural characteristics of the space, and to fit seamlessly within the
environment. From the start of projects both big and small, we focus on how people will
interact with the space, marrying our technical expertise and aesthetic ingenuity.
With an eye toward future growth, our plans deliver a clear, unified vision that considers all
implications and contingencies. The result is a practical study with actionable
recommendations. We are also familiar with the most current development trends,
technologies and considerations to ensure our plans are relevant and lasting.
Klavon has years of experience helping communities reach their full potential by tailoring
our designs to how residents will live, work and play. By focusing our international
expertise and skills at the local level, we can balance creative sensibilities with budgeting
and scheduling realities.
DINA KLAVON, RLA, ASLA
Klavon Design Associates, Inc. was founded by Dina Klavon, RLA, ASLA in 1996. A graduate of Pennsylvania State University, Ms. Klavon has been working as a Landscape Architect since 1982. She is a Registered Landscape Architect (RLA) in Pennsylvania and is a certified women-owned business with federal, state and local government agencies.
- Military master planning
- Site planning & design
- Sustainability (LEED)
- Real Property Master Plan (RPMP) digests
- Area Development Plans (ADPs)
- Installation Appearance Plans (IAPs)
- Installation design guidelines (IDGs)
- DD1391 documentation
- Planning charettes
- Regional planning
- Site planning
- Master planning
- Community planning
- Urban design
- Park design
- Landscape design
- Plazas and courtyards
- Rooftop gardens
- Streetscape design
- Pennsylvania State University, College of Arts and Architecture, Landscape Architecture Alumni of the Year, 2017
- American Planning Association, Great Public Spaces in Pennsylvania, Market Square, 2015
- Urban Land Institute, Award for Excellence, Catalytic Place - Energy Innovation Center, 2015
- Urban Land Institute, Award for Excellence, Visual Place: Point Park University – the Academic Village Initiative – The Village Park and Wood Street Corridor Enhancements, 2013
- Planetizen, Top 100 Public Spaces in the US and Canada, Market Square, Pittsburgh, PA, 2011
- 10,000 Friends of Pennsylvania, Commonwealth Ward, Market Square, Pittsburgh, PA, 2011
- Naval Facilities Engineering Command, Honor Award, Regionally Integrated Master Program, 2009
- AIA Pittsburgh Merit Award, Carnegie Library, Hill District, 2009
- AIA Pittsburgh Merit Award, South Side Local Development Company, Monastery Street Gateway, 2009
- AIA Pittsburgh Honor Award, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper Hall, 2009
- United States Air Force, Merit Award, Planning Studies and Design Guides, Air Force Basic Military Training Campus Replacement Plan, Lackland AFB, TX, 2009
- Light at the Ends of the Alley, by Gary W. Cramer, Landscape Architecture Magazine, June 2005
- Pennsylvania/Delaware American Society of Landscape Architecture Chapter Special Recognition Award, Strawberry Way, 2004
- AIA/ASLA Pittsburgh Design Awards, Award of Excellence, Strawberry Way, 2003
- Pittsburgh Platforms Exhibition, Carnegie Museum of Art’s Heinz Architectural Center, First AvenueParking Garage, 2003
- Pennsylvania/Delaware American Society of Landscape Architecture (ASLA) Chapter Merit Award, First Avenue Parking Garage, 2001
- AIA/ASLA Pittsburgh Design Awards, Honor Award, First Avenue Parking Garage, 2001
- Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation, Award of Merit for the Community Design Center of Pittsburgh, Model Home Project, 1999
- Pennsylvania/Delaware American Society of Landscape Architecture Chapter Merit Award,
- United States Army Aberdeen Proving Ground, Installation Design Guide, 1997
- Letter of Commendation for Installation Design Guide, U.S. Army Aberdeen Proving Ground, 1996